A cumbersome title. This is the government trying to make cycling and walking safer while simultaneously increasing them. Please go to https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/cycling-and-walking-investment-strategy-cwis-safety-review to reply to the consultation online – if only to get your views off your chest!
If you want to pick someone else’s brains before replying, you can:
1 Go to Cycling UK’s guidance
2 Look at the Guardian bike blog
Dynamo will be responding to the consultation to make our perennial points, namely:
- take road space from private cars and allocate it to cycling, walking and public transport;
- draw up and implement really good guidelines on cycling infrastructure;
- make residential rat runs into no-through roads;
- give cyclists priority where offroad paths cross minor roads (particularly at junctions);
- embed cycle training and cycling in schools;
- have a community infrastructure levy on all new developments
(all taken from Dynamo’s response to Lancashire’s Transport Masterplan)
. . . and anything else that occurs to us!
So please do take the time to do this – and pass this post on to anyone else who might be interested.